The main purpose of the post:
Work collaboratively with managers within the respective service areas (up to and including Director level), providing technical financial advice and support using professional knowledge and skills pro-actively to identify, investigate, analyse and evaluate issues/options within an agreed financial management framework
- To work routinely with managers across the organisation, typically advising and influencing up to and including Assistant Director / Head of Service level.
- To take direct personal responsibility for the provision of financial support to discrete areas of the business, including providing specialist, technical advice and reports to senior colleagues and members to support effective decision making under s151 of Local Government Act 1972.
- To take responsibility for the delivery of effective financial systems and processes across the council including timely reconciliations, so that any necessary adjustments are designed and implemented promptly.
- To work with external financial advisers and contractors (including be part of selection and appointment processes in accordance with procurement regulation and managing the contractual relationships to ensure expected performance or compliance) as appropriate to the role.
- To liaise directly with internal/external auditors on all matters relating to the preparation and audit of the defined work area(s).
- To ensure that the financial governance requirements are understood and accepted by the business and that the implications of non-compliance are made clear. As part of this, to identify, monitor and manage risks.